Monday, July 27, 2015

Book Blog?

I'm about to get my Book Blogger card revoked.  There hasn't been any mention of books on here for ages.  My reading time has been severely curtailed by crafting, sewing, and painting.  And, if I were to be totally honest, staring at that ridiculous cell phone screen.  But that doesn't mean I've given up reading all together.  Here are five that have gotten a thumbs up from me recently.


First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen

It's next to impossible for Sarah to get anything but rave reviews from me.  I have loved every book she's written, and this sequel to her first book, Garden Spells, continues the streak.

The Waverly sisters learned two lessons it took me a lot longer to get:  1.  Do what calls you - or, better put, love what you love without explanation or apology.  2.  Sometimes you have to let go of your plans in order to receive something better.  And they learn them with so much more flair and magic!

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

This book was recommended by a total stranger in a bookstore in Florida.  We were vacationing and I stopped to look for a book on local history.  Of course I couldn't pass up the bestseller display while I was there.  A fellow reader saw me looking at this book and said that she had 1 chapter to go and couldn't wait to get back to her hotel to finish.  I figured any book that would tempt her to bypass sightseeing must be worth the read.

It took a bit for me to get into this one, but once I did, I was hooked.  It keeps your head spinning to the end.  With narration from several characters, you're never quite sure where the truth lies among their varying viewpoints. Highly recommended for fans of Gone Girl.


Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good by Jan Karon

Ah, bliss!  To return to a familiar place with favorite characters - especially after a long absence - is reading perfection.  I have read this entire series several times and they always hold something fresh.  I want to grow up to be Cynthia! 

Ms. Karon's return to Mitford is seamless - like I was there yesterday.  And she managed to leave the door open for at least one more visit.  As corny as it sounds, reading this made me feel that I was somewhere safe with somebody good.  






The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlaine

Riley MacPherson has spent her entire life believing that her older sister Lisa committed suicide as a teenager. Now, over twenty years later, she finds evidence to the contrary. Lisa is alive. Alive and living under a new identity. But why exactly was she on the run all those years ago, and what secrets are being kept now? As Riley works to uncover the truth, her discoveries will put into question everything she thought she knew about her family.

Another top recommendation that makes you wonder if you can believe anything you read.

Beach Town by Mary Kay Andrews

Romance mixed with history and enough plot turns to keep it from being predictable.  A fun, light read.  

That sounds like a lukewarm review, but I have the book 4 stars. Sometimes a book doesn't have to be heart-pounding or thought-provoking.  Sometimes it's enough to just be fun. 


1 comment:

  1. So true - sometimes fun, light reads are the perfect reads for the perfect mood.

    ReplyDelete