Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Needlework Tuesday: Shop Hop

I went shop hopping.  Seven area quilt stores held a Shop Hop Friday and Saturday - four shops in Nebraska, two in Kansas and one in Missouri.   Of course, I had to work Friday, so  I didn't have time to do the entire route, but I got to visit the four Nebraska stores on Saturday and picked up something unique at each one.

The first store specializes in batiks.  The owners do elaborate applique and "picture" quilts made from solids and batiks, so that is pretty much all they carry.  I wish I had thought to snap some pictures.  They also carry a line of Asian prints that they are discontinuing, so I got a deal on this beautiful border print.  I should have spread it out for the picture because it's difficult to describe.  If you were to open out the entire 45" width of the fabric, you would see FOUR borders rather than the standard two.  Each half contains a panel with borders on each side, and the dark gray area (top) in between. 

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it.  I also picked up a coordinating print and batik, so I'll let that simmer for awhile till just the right project presents itself.

My search for something special at shop #2 ended just a few feet inside the door.  Red and aqua Christmas print!!  *Squeal*  (And I think I actually did squeal in the store.)  Again - no idea what these will become.  I may just sit and look at them till Christmas.

Shop #3 added a charm pack to my pile.  The icy blues and snowflake motifs caught my eye.  I found several ideas for charm packs on Pinterest, so this may become a lap quilt or a tote bag . . . or something else.

And finally, shop #4 - my favorite.  The shop is housed in an old church - so it's huge, with an exhaustive supply of fabrics, notions, patterns, etc.  Unfortunately, I arrived at the same time as a charter bus of women so, in spite of the size of the store, every aisle was full and it was difficult to really take in the selection.  I settled on a table runner pattern and some fabric with a retro feel.  The colors match nothing in my house, but as I made repeated laps around the store, I continually returned to that bolt.  I love the curved lines on the runner so, if it goes together as quickly as the instructions promise, this may be a good idea for Christmas gifts.  I will return to this store another day, when I have more time and space to browse.  


I would love to hear your ideas for my fabric finds.  I'll be madly searching Pinterest!

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather, who blogs at Books and Quilts.  Stop by to see the beautiful things she is creating and check out the links to other needlework posts.  While you're there, leave a link to your own needlework post. 

3 comments:

  1. How about a table runner for your kitchen table? Another thought would be a Christmas Tree skirt?? A quilted one? And I of course love your journal covers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh! So pretty! I love them all. Can't wait to see what you make with them all. I'm inspired to go through my fabric stash and perhaps "enhance" it a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what fun. so much to think about and projects to ponder. That's the best part of a shop hop. Lately when I do a hop, I decide on one project before hand and then collect the fabrics, a few from each store. Last hop I collected pink and orange fabrics. will be looking forward to developments with these fabrics.

    thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete