Thursday, January 9, 2014

Where Were You? . . .

Our spur-of-the-moment readathon is going well.  I started by reading from a new devotion book, glanced through a magazine that came in today's mail (not sure that actually counts as reading), then moved on to my current book.  I'm starting to feel drowsy so I'm taking a break to answer Teri's challenge question (see previous post).
Is there a time that something happened in your life and you can still remember exactly what book you were involved in at the time?  Tell what happened and what book you were reading.


This is a tough question.  I can remember certain books I read and where I was at the time, but they don't correspond to a major event.  As a child, my favorite place to read was in a swivel-rocker in our living room.  That is where I read the entire book of 365 Bedtime Stories by Nan Gilbert.

As a teen, I remember reading Stephen King books in bed.  Mom would stand at the base of the stairs and tell me to quit reading, turn off the light and go to sleep.  No way was I turning off the light!

The only book I can associate with an event was in 1990.  Presumed Innocent by Scott Turrow was published in 1987, but it was adapted into a movie (starring Harrison Ford) in 1990 so it was getting lots of publicity.  I couldn't wait to read it.  I was expecting our first child, so I bought a paperback copy of Presumed Innocent and the plan was to save it until I went into labor.  Lamaze classes had assured me that first labors were lengthy and slow, so when contractions began, I would reward myself with starting this book - presumably to keep my mind off labor pains.  I quit my job two weeks before my due date (Nov. 1) to prepare for the arrival.  After 2 days I was fully prepared, so I spent the next 12 days waiting....and waiting....and waiting... Nov. 1 came and went and still I'm waiting....  Somewhere around Nov. 5th I determined that I was never going to have this baby so I started reading.  By the time Mitch showed up on the 12th, the book was history.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have had a good first night in the readathon! I have also. And I learned something new about you by the challenge question. Are you talking about the green swivel rocker? And I can just picture mom telling you more than once to turn out the lights and stop reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL about the delivery book! I took a Debbie Macomber book with me and never ever opened it in my 6 days in the hospital! That movie was excellent though :)

    ReplyDelete