Sunday, January 12, 2014

Vintage Mystery Bingo: Book 1

After a two year hiatus, I once again joined a reading challenge - the Vintage Mystery Challenge:  Silver and Gold Edition.  And I've finished my first book.  Devil May Care by Elizabeth Peters, was published in 1977 so it qualifies for the Silver card (books published between 1960 and 1989).  

Now I just need to decide which square on my bingo card to mark off.  This book qualifies for five different categories: 
1.  An author I've read before - I've read one of Ms. Peters' Amelia Peabody series, and numerous by her alter ego, Barbara Michaels.
2.  Features a crime other than murder - theft.
3.  Written by an author with a pseudonym - Who knew Elizabeth Peters was also Barbara Michaels, or the other way around?
4.  A book you have to borrow - borrowed from local library.
5.  A book set in the U.S. - Virginia

I will see what other vintage mysteries I find and what categories they fulfill before I decide.  If you want to play Vintage Mystery Bingo, visit Bev @ My Reader's Block (link in the sidebar).
Ellie and Henry are young, rich, and engaged. When Ellie’s eccentric Aunt Kate asks her to house-sit at her palatial estate in Burton, Virginia, Ellie is happy to oblige. She feels right at home there with the nearly invisible housekeepers and the plethora of pets, but conventional Henry finds Aunt Kate and her lifestyle a little hard to take. After he leaves, Ellie realizes that there are disturbing secrets about the local aristocracy buried in a dusty old book she has carried into the mansion, and her sudden interest in the past is attracting a slew of unwelcome guests—some of them living . . . and some, perhaps, not. But there are no such things as ghosts, are there?
I enjoyed this book but that's about as excited as I can get over it.  The characters were interesting, even likable (or intentionally dis-likable in some cases), and the story line was very good - kept me involved right to the last chapter.  And that's where the wheels fell off.  A rather ho-hum solution presented in a rather ho-hum fashion.  I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.  I know Ms. Peters, or Michaels, is capable of much better.  







No comments:

Post a Comment