Thursday, January 23, 2014

Tangled Thursday: Paisley

This week's Tangled Thursday challenge was "paisley".  Simple - paisley is evidently my favorite shape because it sneaks it's way into nearly everything I draw.  But it turned out to be more of a challenge than I expected to dedicate an entire tangle to paisley.

I know I'm dating myself again - as I did in the daisy challenge - but paisley immediately brings thoughts of the 1960's , hippies and psychodelic:


Drawn with Neon Sharpies on 5x7 heavy sketch paper

My second thought was water drops:

It's a very simple tangle - only uses four patterns - but I like it for it's simplicity. This was also drawn with Sharpies on 5x7 heavy sketch paper.

A word about Sharpies.  I have purchased a variety of types of pens including some comparatively expensive architect pens, but I always return to the good old fine-line sharpie.  I like the width of line, I like the way it flows, and I like the way the ink reacts on paper.  I buy them by the dozens at Dollar General.  I still break out the high-dollar pens for detailed work, but most of the time it's a Sharpie.  I'm a simple girl!

Tangled Thursday is hosted by Heather @ Books & Quilts.  Visit Heather to see how everyone interpreted "paisley" - and join in if you like.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, Tami! Both of them are terrific. The first one is so bright and cheery and I really like the water drops on the second one. Great composition, too.

    I haven't had any luck with Sharpies. I'd love to be able to use them because they are cost-effective, but I've tried several and each of them bleeds through the card stock tiles I use. Besides, the ones I use tend to smell and end up giving me a raging headache. I must be ultra-sensitive to the ink ingredients. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the 60's, vaguely. Power flower lives. The brightness of the first drawing really works for me. excellent use of colour. The water drops in the second are very cool. The 'sun' in the upper right makes me think pie instead. yum.

    I have sharpies as well. Some plastics will only work with sharpies. They tend to bleed on fabric, so watch out. I am still playing around with paper and pens. Some work better together than other.

    Drawing these paisleys had me wishing that I had a t-shirt or tote bag to decorate. That will have to be one of our future challenges.

    ReplyDelete