Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sisters Readathon: Read and Tell

Day three of our readathon begins with a challenge by Teri:  Read ten pages and find something to share.  Easy-Peasy.  So far today, I have read from the Bible, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers, and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.  I found something to share in all of them.

From Jesus Calling:  "When you bring me prayer requests, lay out your concerns before me, speak to me candidly, pour out your heart.  Then thank me for the answers that I have set in motion long before you can discern results.  When your requests come to mind  again, continue to thank me for the answers that are on the way.  If you keep on stating your concerns to me, you will live in a state of tension."  

From My Utmost for His HIghest:  "Beware of the inclination to dictate to God what consequences you would allow as a condition of your obedience to Him."

From the Bible: "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." - Colossians 4:2

From The Hobbit:  Dave and I (and occasionally our children) have moved somewhere upwards of 15 times during our marriage.  Dave likes to refer to moves as "adventures".  I like to refer to them as torture.  So this line made me smile:  "We are plain, quiet folk and have no use for adventures.  Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things!  Make you late for dinner!  And I can't think what anybody sees in them."  

And for a little humor:  "He charged the ranks of the goblins...and knocked their king's head clean off with a wooden club.  It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole.  And in this way the battle was won and the game of golf invented at the same moment."

And my favorite line so far (but I've only read one chapter):  "Altogether, those were good days for us, and the poorest of us had money to spend and to lend, and leisure to make beautiful things just for the fun of it."  Truly the best description of a good day!

Today will be filled with reading, a couple loads of laundry between chapters, and some sewing when I need a longer break.  Hope you find a few minutes to spend in a book today.


1 comment:

  1. Good answers! You win the prize!! Oh shoot - there are no prizes! But you win anyway! Sounds like a good morning of reading!

    ReplyDelete