Friday, January 10, 2014

Sisters Readathon - Day 2

Day Two of our no-hassle, no-fuss readathon . . . and time for another challenge question.

I am currently listening to the audio book of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer - and loving it.  In the book, Juliette is asked to write an article about the reasons for and benefits of reading.  So, our question tonight is just that:  Why do you read and what do you gain from it?

I'll be back later this evening with my answer.  Anyone is welcome to leave their response in the comments or write a blog post and leave a link.  And, of course, you're welcome to grab a book, put your feet up and read along with us.  


UPDATE:  10:30 PM  - 1 book complete - "Devil May Care" by Elizabeth Peters

Challenge question - Why do I read?  That's a much tougher question to answer honestly than I realized.  I know all the famous quotes:
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”  - George R.R. Martin
“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end."  - William Styron
 But I can't say that's quite it.  I have loved reading since I learned how and I doubt a 7-year-old understood those reasons.

Some say books are the best of friends, so that could be it.  I do not make friends easily and, I'll admit, it's easier to spend time with books than get to know real people.

Reading is an amusement, a way to pass time, a vocabulary builder, a teacher, an avoidance of reality . . .

The closest I can come to explaining why I love reading is another quote from a famous author:
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” ― Stephen King,

No comments:

Post a Comment