Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Needlework Tuesday

You can't tell by looking, but I really did accomplish quite a bit this week. 
  • Last week I mentioned the 200 mini-quilts I need to get made by May.  Several people asked for a reminder of where this project is going.  The mini quilts are for a friend who needs 2500 of them by May for a national church conference she is attending. They are just a 4-patch sewn to a backing square (no batting) and turned right-side-out. A small wooden cross is tucked inside and the opening hand stitched closed.   She parcelled them out in batches of 200 to friends and family who sew.   Chain piecing whenever I have a few spare minutes is making measurable progress.  I'll just keep plodding along on them.

  • For a break, I made a prayer flag to represent our prayers for my father-in-law, who was recently diagnosed with cancer.  If you're not familiar with prayer flags, read this post for my interpretation.

  • With the remnants of fabrics I used to make Christmas gifts, plus some fat quarters I received for Christmas, I have reached the goal of . . . [drum roll, please] . . . four hundred different fabrics - necessary to make my "book quilt", based on this quilt from The Last Piece.  I had to special order the fabric I wanted  - cream with faint swirls - to create the negative space above the books, but it has arrived and will be in my hand Wednesday, so I have no excuse not to get started . . . except those 200 mini-quilts.
  • And finally, from the Not-So-Successful Department - jumbo-size spool knitting.  Last week I discovered and enjoyed spool knitting, but I'm still unsure what to do with the pencil-size knitted tube.  In a stroke of brilliance, I decided to try the same process using a hexagonal loom from some past project.  It's fun - but the result is just a larger knitted tube with no obvious use.  I suppose if you went on long enough, you could use the tube for a scarf, but I went through half a ball of yarn just getting this far.  I decided the end didn't justify the use of time and supplies, so I ripped it out and saved the yard for another day.


Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather @ Books and Quilts.  Visit Heather to see what everyone is stitching this week.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your book quilt. Well, the beginnings of it anyway. ;)

    As for the spool knitting, you could not "join" the tube and make a "flat" scarf. That is, when you get to the second to last stitch (or even before that) turn around and knit back the way you came instead of knitting 'round and 'round and 'round. I made a couple of items this way including a large wrap, which remains one of my favourite things I've ever made.

    From your photo, it looks like you pegs are quite far apart. You could use a much thicker yarn or double/triple up your thinner yarns to make a warmer knitted item.

    You've inspired me to pull out my "spools" and knit something using them. ;) I'll try to include something in my post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lordie I can't even figure out the spools . . . but it did look the start of an infinity scarf?? is that the correct term? Anyway - - - the prayer flags - - - I'm interested and in Zentangle. I will bring a tote with my zentangle notebook and a few ideas I have for a prayer flag for Elaine - the first one I will try making :) I'm not sure that we will have time to address these things and pay respectful attention to the Super Bowl - - - but we can find a few moments to gab about it anyway . . . Good projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tami, Lots happening at your place. Thanks for the re-cap of the mini quilts. That is quite an undertaking for your friend. I'm sure they will be most appreciated by the recipients.

    The prayer flag for your father-in-law is perfect. those going through cancer treatment need all the love and support that we can give them. I'll be saying prayers for him.

    I have done some spool knitting as well. Several scarves and an afghan. The dog loved the afghan and would bury his head in it. it was with double yarns and was very loose as your photo shows. I made 5 flat strips and stitched them together.

    ps. I added your post to my linky for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete