Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Needlework Tuesday

Christmas is over and the crafting frenzy has slowed.  I ended up making 17 aprons and 10 quilted baskets for gifts.  I'm very ready to move on to something else.  My friend, Kari, gave me just the book I need to do that.


"One Yard Wonders" by Patricia Hoskins and Rebecca Yaker.  Subtitled "Look How Much You Can Make With Just One Yard of Fabric" - it's just what I needed to give me some new craft ideas.  I have already selected several projects to try.  I need to hit the fabric store for some notions and a browse through the remnant bins.  

2014 will be a year of big changes for our family.  Mitch and Amanda will both graduate from college and are considering career options that mean moving quite a distance from me.  Mitch is engaged to be married in July.  Amy and Tom are trying to purchase a new home in a more rural area near Albuquerque.  Change seems to be the theme, so I am devoting more time to praying specifically for my children.  When they were all here last week, I had them each create a block for a prayer quilt.  They each received a 10 1/2" square of muslin and a variety of fabric markers.  The only rules were that you must write your name and  leave a 1/2" border so that a seam did not cut off part of your art work.  I honestly expected to have a few squares returned with nothing but a signature.  I was pleasantly surprised at the time they devoted to their creations.  



I joined the eight completed squares with 6" sashes and an appliqued square to make a very simple quilt - so that I can finish it quickly and put it into use.  It will be backed with flannel to make it cuddly, and tied - with each knot representing a specific prayer.   As I wrap myself in it during the early morning hours, I will pray for each of the precious people represented.

Here's to a "crafty" 2014!  What is on your craft calendar?

4 comments:

  1. That turned out perfect! What a nice thought and a good way to cover the family with prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful idea, Tami! I think I might borrow your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea, Tami! I didn't get my sweater finished, so I'm not posting this week. I hope to have something for next week.

    I have so many ideas for crafts, it's overwhelming and I really don't know where to start. Maybe I just need to get organized. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt. What it a joy it will be each and every time you wrap it around yourself.

    I haven't seen the one yard book, will have to take a look. my favourite is to make pillowcases. They are specially good for college kids who are away from home for the first time.

    My plan is to make tea cosies, one each month. I've been wanting to make some for a while, but they kept getting pushed to the bottom of the list.

    ReplyDelete