Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Needlework Tuesday: Tit for Tat

When I was a child, I loved to visit an older lady who lived up the street from us.  Mamie had lots of things at her house that a little girl found fascinating - like a fox stole with the clasp hidden inside the fox's mouth, and handmade needlepoint seat covers on the dining room chairs.  Mamie also knew how to tat lace, and she taught me the basic steps.  For forty-plus years, the idea has taken up space in the back of my brain - probably the space where I'm supposed to store my to-do list, which explains a lot.  When my sister, Teri, initiated a New Year's challenge to learn five new things during 2013, I dug out the idea and created my list.  I promised to learn:

1.  Basic gun safety, loading and shooting.
2.  Camping
3.  Zentangling
4.  Tatting lace
5.  Crochet

Numbers 1 through 3 are checked off so, with the year growing short, I purchased the supplies for 4 and 5.  Tatting is an inexpensive craft, requiring only 1 shuttle (2 for $2.50) and crochet thread ($2.29 at Wal-Mart).  The kit I found on line included two shuttles, two colors of thread and a vague instruction sheet. The thread was size 10 (that's thin) and I became frustrated VERY quickly.  So, I picked up some size 5 and size 3 (the smaller the number the heavier the thread) at Wal-Mart and started over.  It  was still frustrating, but I slowly made progress and the larger thread made it easier to see the knots and understand how they were supposed to look. 



After only two hours, three re-starts, and countless cuss words, I managed to tat three inches of edging lace. And not very well.


The straight sections and picots (small loops) aren't bad, but the rings (larger loops) aren't supposed to have those gaps at the bottom and I'm not quite sure how to fix that.  I'll keep working and move on to smaller thread for more delicate lace.  But...this is not a skill that really has much use other than entertainment.  I'm not sure where I would actually use the lace once it's finished.

Next up - crochet.    

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather at Books & Quilts.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Tami. I don't tat, but it's probably one of those crafts that takes lots of practice. I'm sure the more you do, the better you'll get.

    Perhaps a tatting website can help you fix the gaps. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete